- Posted by PurpleWeb
- On September 17, 2019
John Mc Donald Case Study
My business is John McDonald Golf (www.johnmcdonaldgolf.com), and I am the PGA Head Professional at Llantrisant and Pontyclub Golf Club, ten miles west of Cardiff, the capital city of Wales. We are just 40 minutes to the English border, easily reachable via the M4 motorway and the Severn Bridge.
I was previously a senior teaching pro at The Celtic Manor Resort, venue for The Ryder Cup 2010, and I am a former Academy Coach at Wales Golf. I also have a BSc Honours degree in Applied Sports Science.
I am perceived as quite a specialist golf coach, with a particularly good track record with elite junior golfers.
We have definitely seen a shift in the average golfer’s mentality over the last few years. More people now seek specialist coaching, rather than general help with their game.
- Whether elite juniors and adult golfers, or regular club golf enthusiasts, my customers tend to be heavily-invested in their game, both emotionally and financially.
- They want to improve, and are prepared to pay to achieve this.
- They are increasingly aware of Tour putting coaches such as Phil Kenyon. I tell my customers all the time that Phil Kenyon uses the ZGS – and this has a positive effect on them.
- I first came across it on a visit to Phil Kenyon’s Putting Solutions academy at Formby Hall. Phil was extremely complimentary about it, and told me about the Tour players he had coached on it. I also tried Phil’s ZGS for myself, and could immediately see the benefits.
- Knowing that Phil coaches some of the best golfers in the world on his Zen Green Stage, it was fascinating to see its versatility up close when I was at Putting Solutions with him. I had already started to think about getting one, but seeing Phil and the team put the Green Stage through its paces gave me added impetus.
- I saw how the Green Stage has become integral to the Phil’s putting studio at Formby Hall. It’s the ideal environment for a coach to capture your putting data, and putting lessons on it are both exciting and very realistic, whether you are a beginner or a global superstar.
- I recognised that it creates a very lifelike environment, as opposed to the flat putting surfaces upon which almost all of the world’s indoor putting studios rely.
More to come
- We have become known as the premier putting coaching facility in Wales, and through into the South West of England.
- A big increase in the number of putting lessons. Before ZGS, 90% of our lessons were based on full swing. After ZGS, it is 60% full swing, 40% putting. Over summer 2019 is has been closer to 50/50.
- We’ve also had a correspondingly big increase in putter fittings.
MORE TO COME FROM JOHN MCDONALD
- Which often then become putting lessons, so we have sold many more putting lessons too, since we launched the ZGS. MORE TO COME FROM JOHN MCDONALD
- Also we have had a major increase in new business. They have come to the academy for the first time, from miles around, because of the ZGS. The word-of-mouth effect has been very strong, about the ZGS.
- Our customer demographic has shifted towards the serious, regular golfer (as opposed to casual, occasional players).
- Customers are now travelling further to come and see us, and I attribute this to the ZGS.
- I also feel far more comfortable now, giving a putting lesson.
- I can only see our business growing, and a lot of this is attributable to the presence of the ZGS.
- 100% for putting, and we use it with SAM Puttlab. The Puttlab adds to the ZGS experience significantly, and helps us to justify the expenditure on the ZGS.
- We currently coach Staysure Tour competitors on the ZGS, plus many Pros from other Tours such as the EuroPro Tour and the Jamega Tour.
- Our goal is to create the ultimate junior golf academy which will become the go-to destination in South Wales for young golfers looking to maximise their talent.
- Having the Zen Green Stage at the heart of our setup enables us to deliver putting coaching to the highest-possible standard – in fact, to the same standard as Tour putting coaches such as Phil Kenyon, who uses the Green Stage to coach Major-winners.
- Putter sales are already 100% up on last year – and we are still learning how to maximise its effect
- We are making more cash from golf coaching. MORE TO COME FROM JOHN MCDONALD
- It will reduce the drop-off in coaching revenue which we normally see over the winter
– MORE TO COME FROM JOHN MCDONALD
ZGS is popular with the better player
One of our leading young pupils, Ashlie Howard-Hobbs (a county-level player) said:
“The Zen Green Stage is like a flying carpet. I’ve never seen anything quite as high-tech in a golf studio before. I usually don’t like indoor putting practice, but on the Zen Green Stage you really feel like you’re outside on an actual green. With its variable slopes, which you can set anywhere between subtle or extreme, it makes you think harder about what you are doing. Plus the grass on the Green Stage is like a really closely-mown, tour-style putting surface – much better than the usual indoor putting turf. Can it help me to become a better putter? 100% yes.”
MORE TO COME FROM JOHN MCDONALD
Yes definitely. We are over the moon that we invested in the ZGS.
It injects Tour golf magic into our academy, and it has raised our profile significantly.
It is an unbelievable tool which makes putting practice much more realistic.
Our challenge now is to market the ZGS better – both by spreading our geographic reach, and also by better explaining the benefits it brings to the golfer.
The Zen Green Stage is an unbelievable tool which makes coaching golf so much more realistic. It is truly all-encompassing if you are looking to improve your putting, and it is attracting golfers from many miles around to our academy.
John McDonald - Head Pro: "The Zen Green Stage is an unbelievable tool which makes coaching golf so much more realistic. Having one at the heart of our setup will enable us to deliver putting coaching to the highest-possible standard – in fact, to the same standard as Tour putting coaches such as Phil Kenyon, who uses the Green Stage to coach Major-winners.”
John McDonald, Pro-Tech Putting,